Flight Traker 24
There is a lot of construction going on in Nuuk, and the most prominent of all its projects is the new Nuuk Airport. It’s a huge construction site with lots going on already even though it’s at least three more years until any of it is ready. Most visible is the runway extension which will see it lengthened to 2200 meters (about 7200 feet) from the current 950 m (3117 ft). Eventually there will be a brand new and bigger terminal, parking areas and more.
Some facts and figures about the new airport, due to be ready in 2024:
- The new terminal will be pproximately 8,000 square meters with a capacity of 800 passengers per hour.
- The construction will involve blasting about 6 million cubic meters of rock. Roughly half of that has already happened, using 2200 tons of explosives to date.
- ILS equipment will be put in place, as well as AFIS service with a turbulence warning system.
- The highest approach mast will be 70 meters (230 feet) tall.
- People from 17 different countries are currently involved in the construction project (and growing).